Windows Subsystem for Linux 2 (WSL 2) – Tips, Tricks, and Techniques
- Paperback: 246 pages
- Publisher: WOW! eBook (October 23, 2020)
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 1800562446
- ISBN-13: 978-1800562448
Windows Subsystem for Linux 2 (WSL 2) – Tips, Tricks, and Techniques: A practical handbook that will help you bridge the gap between Windows and Linux to develop apps that leverage the best features across both ecosystems with seamless interoperability
Windows Subsystem for Linux (WSL) allows you to run native Linux tools alongside traditional Windows applications. Whether you’re developing applications across multiple operating systems or looking to add more tools to your Windows environment, WSL offers endless possibilities.
You’ll start by understanding what WSL is and learn how to install and configure WSL along with different Linux distros. Next, you’ll learn techniques that allow you to work across both Windows and Linux environments. You’ll discover how to install and customize the new Windows Terminal. We’ll also show you how to work with code in WSL using Visual Studio Code (VS Code). In addition to this, you’ll explore how to work with containers with Docker and Kubernetes, and how to containerize a development environment using VS Code.
While Microsoft has announced support for GPU and GUI applications in an upcoming release of WSL, at the time of writing these features are either not available or only in early preview releases. This book focuses on the stable, released features of WSL and giving you a solid understanding of the amazing techniques that you can use with WSL today.
- Install and configure Windows Subsystem for Linux and Linux distros
- Access web applications running in Linux from Windows
- Invoke Windows applications, file systems, and environment variables from bash in WSL
- Customize the appearance and behavior of the Windows Terminal to suit your preferences and workflows
- Explore various tips for enhancing the Visual Studio Code experience with WSL
- Install and work with Docker and Kubernetes within Windows Subsystem for Linux
- Discover various productivity tips for working with Command-line tools in WSL
By the end of this Windows Subsystem for Linux 2 (WSL 2): Tips, Tricks, and Techniques book, you’ll be able to configure WSL and Windows Terminal to suit your preferences, and productively use Visual Studio Code for developing applications with WSL 2.